Thursday, March 17, 2011

A name

COUNTRY – I live in the country, in a little cabin-type home.  It is small (and yes in some ways cluttered) and it’s old, but it is a lovely place to me. It is simple - a woodstove for the winter and a swamp cooler for the summer. No automatic dishwasher or garbage disposal. Roses, irises, whatever I can plant that will bloom! It is simple.  Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to live on the top of a mountain – and I do.  Well, ok, a foothill, but the view is wonderful. I see part of a lake in the distance, a valley, trees, large granite rocks and a great open sky at night.  A few years ago a friend of mine gave it a name: Shalom House - house of peace.  And so it is, the moment I walk in the door. Simple.
SHALOM – The Hebrew word for peace. Isn’t everyone looking, searching for peace.  We want global peace, national peace, peace from war, peace at work, peace in our families and most of all peace within ourselves, where we can be so restless, fearful, and alone. I love the definition of Shalom: It is peace, quiet, tranquility, contentment, completeness, wholeness. Peace.


So Country Shalom is really another way of saying Simple Peace.   
And to think that one of the names of God is Jehovah Shalom. He Himself is our peace.
~To the glory of His Name!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you call your home Shalom House! I wish I could say that about our home - maybe someday.

    Diane D.

    ReplyDelete